Multiple Instances

Development discussions regarding the core platform (MBBS/WG)
Questman

Re: Multiple Instances

Post by Questman »

Why did they suggest MySQL over SQLite?

That's my main worry, if we all have modules with SQLite compiled into the module, will that conflict, waste resources, etc?

Did you try using the GALSQL module ever? I wonder if we stick GALSQL on the system with Platinum and build a test build of Platinum that calls that. I have to update it for a later SQLite first.
Founder, The Major BBS Restoration Project
Owner, Elwynor Technologies ISV
Former Owner, Galacticomm IP (2005-2020)
Contributor, Galacticomm IP baseline

daniel_spain

Re: Multiple Instances

Post by daniel_spain »

Questman wrote:
> Why did they suggest MySQL over SQLite?
>
> That's my main worry, if we all have modules with SQLite compiled into the
> module, will that conflict, waste resources, etc?
>
> Did you try using the GALSQL module ever? I wonder if we stick GALSQL on
> the system with Platinum and build a test build of Platinum that calls
> that. I have to update it for a later SQLite first.

i actually had to add a hack into SQLITE3.H to identify __BORLANDC__ and set SQLITE3_THREADS to 0
it was causing an error.

as for MySQL .... hmmm.... i cannot recall their "reasoning" i originally wrote the engine with like 20 btrieve files
with each file having the same data as the dbase 5 database so TAEACT.DBF became TAEACT.DAT but that was so many files
so i stored em in a seperate dir to keep it clean...... then i migrated over to MS-ACCESS ie TAEACT.DAT became TAEACT.MDB
then eventually into a single file but the ODBC PowerBase addon would get REAL REAL laggy causing ms jumps into the thousands
so according to Netvillage it needed to be opened, database loaded, then closed but that caused a problem because i didnt
want to open/close just to save a single player X amount of times based on whom was online so i went to a forum and was
in convo some reccomended json, others sqlite, but some were hell bent on mysql for a "mud" but i settled on sqlite and at least
for that game has been great. im sure its not for all, i mean Tele-Arena Classic/Platinum/Warfare all have like 29 database tables
plus another 3 for character/guild/quest stuff so it works, others with only a user database it would be an overkill.