IPADDR does not match Windows TCP/IP setup

A place for new Sysops to meet, discuss their setup and get help.
RebornGamer

IPADDR does not match Windows TCP/IP setup

Post by RebornGamer »

I have given my computer a static IP and I think I set it correctly in WG. But when I try to start the server I get this in the event log

...rldgroup Server/wgserver.exe - Configuration option IPADDR does not match: Windows TCP/IP setup

What obvious think am I missing?

Sorry - very newb here.

Ragtop

Re: IPADDR does not match Windows TCP/IP setup

Post by Ragtop »

Set the static ip in windows setup and leave wg set to auto. It should pick up the address from the windows ip definition.

RebornGamer

Post by RebornGamer »

Ragtop wrote:
> Set the static ip in windows setup and leave wg set to auto. It should pick
> up the address from the windows ip definition.

Thank you

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

RebornGamer wrote:
> Ragtop wrote:
> > Set the static ip in windows setup and leave wg set to auto. It should pick
> > up the address from the windows ip definition.
>
> Thank you

and ALWAYS update your dns address whenever changing this as it does not save.

RebornGamer

Post by RebornGamer »

daniel_spain wrote:

> and ALWAYS update your dns address whenever changing this as it does not save.

Stupid question, what should I set the DNS to?

Duckula

Post by Duckula »

Whatever DNS address your ISP provides, or possibly your router if it will forward DNS requests.
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner

BadOPCode

Post by BadOPCode »

A lot of routers have options for static mapped and can direct the internal host names. In Windows if you type 'ipconfig /all' at a CMD prompt you should get a complete dump of your network setup. If your DNS in Windows is pointed at your IP address of your router (example: 192.168.0.1) you most likely have a option to map a static hostname in your router. This will allow you to use the hostname internally to get to your BBS.
In the network info if you see IP6 be cautious of your results from like ping. IP6 is great and gets around a lot of the annoying problems of IP4 but with WG/Major BBS there is no binding for IP6 so if your IP4 configuration isn't working your dead in the water.
The other snag you can run into is with IP4 using masquerading (AKA NAT) which is 99% of the configurations by ISP's you can not connect to your outside interface from the inside directly. So even if you have a correct forwarding rule and DDNS (EX: somebbs.no-ip.org) you won't be able to connect directly to that address conventionally. To properly test this if you can find a WG server that allows you to use network commands like /host, /telnet, or /rlogin and try to connect back to yourself.

FYI: one of the simplifications of IP6 is that this going to a offsite host and calling back is not necessary for IP6 connections as they are 99% not masqueraded and are conventionally routed. BUT it's only relative to IP6. IP6 doesn't fix broken IP4 setups and it's something you have to watch out for when things "seem to be working." I keep dragging IP6 up because modern Windows 10 will prioritize IP6 over IP4 and has the protocol stack on interfaces by default.