MBBS/WG/WG2 Packet Drivers for VMs

Support for MBBS/WG for DOS
Milton

MBBS/WG/WG2 Packet Drivers for VMs

Post by Milton »

1) First off you need to get connectivity to the Internet.
VirtualBox and VMware Both Use Virtual AMD NIC Cards by default.
Make sure your Bridged with your Host NIC in your VM Network Settings
Also make sure your sharing your Host NIC with other computers on your network
Right Click on your LAN Icon and check the box for sharing.
2) Download FD13-LiveCD.zip ISO
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.3/previews/1.3-rc3/
Install Full Package and Boot your DOS VM
Install FDIMPLES networking packages for dos: http://up.lod.bz/FDIMPLES
Download NICSCAN and you will see : http://www.georgpotthast.de/sioux/packet.htm
NICSCAN will help you to determine which packet driver you need for your PC.
3) Put PCNTPK Packet Driver in your AUTOEXEC.BAT Example: PCNTPK INT=0x60

Hope this helps other sysops revive their BBS.
Stay Posted for Updates Here. It's work in progress even for myself.

Tarkus

Re: MBBS/WG/WG2 Packet Drivers for VMs

Post by Tarkus »

Hi Milton, thanks for your post, I did something similar when I fired up one of our BBS back ups from the late 90s about a month ago just for fun and this was before I found out about this new forum and the Phoenix project, anyway I launched this BBS in a VM using VMPlayer ver 15, it was WG 2.0 running on Dos 6.22 using a packet driver etc. this backup was our MUD server and a good test while scripting to see if its stable and the response times were good enough, on my local Lan it seemed fine but when I got some of my mates to telnet in via the Net and do some testing it was like receiving teletext, and you couldn't really play mud to enjoy it. I put it down to the packet driver or the ISPs effecting the traffic. I've since done an upgrade to WG 3.3 on Win 7 SP1 and it works great.
Did you experience anything like that with response times etc via users from the net?

Cheers Tarkus

Milton

Post by Milton »

Yes VMWARE is Slower for the DOS version. Could be the Emulation driver used for the TCP communication in DOS.
If Vircom's TCPIP was still available for registration, it would be the best option for the DOS version.
WG v3+ for windows works good without any problems.

With Dan's new IC for WG, version 10 should be flawless.

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

Milton wrote:
> Yes VMWARE is Slower for the DOS version. Could be the Emulation driver
> used for the TCP communication in DOS.
> If Vircom's TCPIP was still available for registration, it would be the
> best option for the DOS version.
> WG v3+ for windows works good without any problems.
>
> With Dan's new IC for WG, version 10 should be flawless.

actually got alot more done to that..... im working on tls encryption for the smtp auth and leaving in the base64 for legacy server support and working on some ip blocking functions to to either block all on a list or only allow connections from the list. got a ton of new enhancements as well. The rlogin client has been getting alot of love but i want to take that a step further to allow the /# list to show more info than "Rlogin client" and even working on a global command option to communicate back to the bbs from the rlogin connection so you can see pages, etc.... and of course the DMA server im working on which will be available in ico2 as well. If i ever get the source to ico1 ill push updates for major as well

Ragtop

Post by Ragtop »

Hey Dan,
Think you already have rlogin showing the module it was connecting to. And you allowed removal of the busy flag so global messages will go through it. We talked about it a few years ago and you added that functionality. The command line options are -m <module name> and -b

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

Ragtop wrote:
> Hey Dan,
> Think you already have rlogin showing the module it was connecting to. And you
> allowed removal of the busy flag so global messages will go through it. We talked
> about it a few years ago and you added that functionality. The command line options
> are -m <module name> and -b

yeah it didnt make it into the latest release because i want to do it a bit differently.
i also need to add a new "format length text variables" option so other 3rd party
modules can access it so we have 1 standard for listing users.