WTB: Major BBS v6.25 and Major BBS TCP

General chat not related to other community topics
Duckula

Re: WTB: Major BBS v6.25 and Major BBS TCP

Post by Duckula »

Thanks for helping Kracken! As i recommended above, Alan should disable ftp, finger, www etc and just leave telnet enabled.

Then use an ISO to get the files to the VM
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner

Alan

Post by Alan »

Duckula talk to Daniel he thinks he can fix this and it would be great to have ICO working right for Free Edition. The way the instructions are when you tell Major BBS to continue after a GP occurs it doesn't log what happen so if I run a game that crashes no GP.OUT for Questman or whoever to look at. If I turn that option off Free Edition doesn't load unless I TOTALLY DISABLE ICO including TELNET server. It seems like something is broken there but I fell like we are so close to having ICO working right I can almost taste it!!

I'm not sure it's a good way in to just have everybody turn off GP logging only so TELNET will work but I'm still learning all these Major BBS programming and will read more of the docs tonight. Virecom works without doing this and I'm sure ICO and the Free Edition can do it to with just a little fixes so please let Daniel try! In just a few days we got TELNET to work with just a little hacking around and I'm sure everything else could be figured out and the Major BBS FTP server work too. Maybe Daniel can just get rid of PIPER and save us from a lot of these problems we already had. I know it 30 years old but it works on other setups fine and WE CAN DO IT!!

I will help test and make Free Edition 100%!

Duckula

Post by Duckula »

Alan,

I am not experiencing any of the issues you are. I have setup and installed it in VirtualBox and had it running for several days now without any problems. The information provided is the official release we are putting out at this stage. Feel free to work with Daniel (preferably via PM until you have some concrete resolutions) if you wish, however, the software is old, the ICO has bugs and our focus is on our next release. Releasing v6.25 was done for nostalgia reasons and is not recommended for running a production BBS under a virtual environment. If you wish to run a production BBS under v6.25 please do so on physical hardware, with the appropriate drivers and software.

At some point in the not too distant future we will be releasing the source code for v6.25 and yourself, Daniel and anyone else in the community are free to use this to make any changes you wish.
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner

Alan

Post by Alan »

Duckula from your instructions:

39. Select Hardware Setup and set the following:
- Set channel group 1 to NONE unless you have modems
- Set channel group 2 to TCP/IP
- Set starting channel number (e.g. 10)
- Set number of channels (e.g. 8)
- Set continue after GP error to YES
- Set reboot after GP error to NO

Now what happens if you:

Set continue after GP error to NO
Set reboot after GP error to YES

I think this means something is wrong with ICO or Major BBS Free Edition. This does not happen under Virecom. Please let Daniel try to fix it and make Free Edition 100%!

Questman

Post by Questman »

Of course, Alan, you could have just installed Worldgroup 2 like I suggested days ago and installed Infinity Complex on that. I'm pretty sure it runs just fine on that build, and that uses the ICO version 2, which as we've said 300 times, is far more stable since it uses a better TCP/IP stack provider (HPAC).

I'm not providing Infinity Complex keys for the free version anyway, so I'm not sure what you aim to accomplish.
Founder, The Major BBS Restoration Project
Owner, Elwynor Technologies ISV
Former Owner, Galacticomm IP (2005-2020)
Contributor, Galacticomm IP baseline

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

Questman wrote:
> Of course, Alan, you could have just installed Worldgroup 2 like I
> suggested days ago and installed Infinity Complex on that. I'm pretty sure
> it runs just fine on that build, and that uses the ICO version 2, which as
> we've said 300 times, is far more stable since it uses a better TCP/IP
> stack provider (HPAC).
>
> I'm not providing Infinity Complex keys for the free version anyway, so I'm
> not sure what you aim to accomplish.

/agreed use wg2 and it all works. it will load modules compiled in bc3 and bc4 whereas
modules compiled in bc4 will not load under v6. This allows you much more options in
terms of games

Duckula

Post by Duckula »

I provided v6.25 as the first step in releasing things free to the community and unfortunately it has turned into a problem for some people, that was not the intention.

The version of the ICO provided is the only one that works for MajorBBS v6.25 that we can provide - we can not provide The MajorTCP/IP package as this was written by Vircom and we do not own it.

We will also be releasing Worldgroup v1 and v2 (which run on DOS) for free which will work with ICO2, and this will provide better stability as Dnaiel and Questman have said. The vast majority of modules that ran on MajorBBS v6.25 will work on Worldgroup 1 and Worldgroup 2.

I don't have a timeframe for the release of WG1 or WG2 yet but it will happen. Don't give up hope - there is more to come!
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

Duckula wrote:
> I provided v6.25 as the first step in releasing things free to the
> community and unfortunately it has turned into a problem for some people,
> that was not the intention.
>
> The version of the ICO provided is the only one that works for MajorBBS
> v6.25 that we can provide - we can not provide The MajorTCP/IP package as
> this was written by Vircom and we do not own it.
>
> We will also be releasing Worldgroup v1 and v2 (which run on DOS) for free
> which will work with ICO2, and this will provide better stability as Dnaiel
> and Questman have said. The vast majority of modules that ran on MajorBBS
> v6.25 will work on Worldgroup 1 and Worldgroup 2.
>
> I don't have a timeframe for the release of WG1 or WG2 yet but it will
> happen. Don't give up hope - there is more to come!

curious..... when you release this free edition. my WG2 and WG2EXT source codes will be fine right? no need
to update anything? you're "free" version is just for sysops whom have never had it? my GALGSBL.DLL is
already LAN/256 licensed.

Duckula

Post by Duckula »

Yes, correct.

It is only for anyone that doesn't already have WG2. Your existing registration # and activation codes will not be affected.
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner