Tele-Arena II for Worldgroup

Tele-Arena discussions
daniel_spain

Tele-Arena II for Worldgroup

Post by daniel_spain »

so i have the terminal module completely built and have been playing a day or so with zero issues.
over the coming days i will be rebuilding the client and reworking the way the client handles
graphic/sound files when encountering objects which will eliminate any crashes that were
happening before. From what i have gathered thus far, ALL client crashes have had to do
with missing files which i have located however adding any new objects to the database
causes crashes if a file is missing so i built a system to always revert to a generic file in the
event one does not exist for the current object.
As far as the terminal module, during development i found over 120 bugs that were causing crash
faults and all of them have been fixed so it is quite stable now.
one of the biggest things i noticed Sean did was incorporate scripting support to a point the
game has its own scripting language you can create scripts and the game will play.
Aside from auto-attack combat, dropping gold on the floor, and sparring arenas
he added quite a few new features to the game and i will have a test version online
soon you can play.

Questman

Re: Tele-Arena II for Worldgroup

Post by Questman »

Lots of goodies coming from the Dan/Rick partnership on Tele-Arena. While TA1 and TA2 have been sold a while, we're working hard on making things more stable and consistent. TA1 will be replaced probably this week/weekend with the first official release from this partnership (ELWTA) and it's based more on the original source than the TA2 engine. TA2 engine just needed some polishing off - I'd ported it to WG3 but Dan's patching the gaps left from when it was last worked on.

Thank you to Dan for his expertise and work here.
Founder, The Major BBS Restoration Project
Owner, Elwynor Technologies ISV
Former Owner, Galacticomm IP (2005-2020)
Contributor, Galacticomm IP baseline

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

ok so i finally got the new base TA2 engine built for worldgroup. now it is not in a releasable form as of yet right now it initializes
all the data for the terminal (A/A) and client server (C/S) protocols.
You can enter the game, walk around, talk to others, and exit.
So you're probably asking "what the hell are you telling us for than" and the answer to that question is, TA2 was a very buggy
game even when released in 1997 and i want to make sure it stands tall like my TA1 engine does so let me know anything you
can remember it doing, rather it be the A/A or C/S side of things. once the module is completed i will be going back and going over the
client and rebuilding a c/s client in ... here it comes.... VB3. (yeah i know)

so just drop me a line on here, my main bbs, or my test bbs and ill get right on it. If you wanna help test and break things, hell i got
plenty of that you can do too. to be continued...........

Questman

Post by Questman »

I think the ice giant issue is one that folks tend to report.
Founder, The Major BBS Restoration Project
Owner, Elwynor Technologies ISV
Former Owner, Galacticomm IP (2005-2020)
Contributor, Galacticomm IP baseline

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

so after hours and hours of crashing and debugging I have isolated a crash event, fixed it, and we now have automation.
now the real-time kicker is churning away like a well oiled machine and monsters are thinking for themselves, the timers are ticking and the game is alive!

more to come.......