Client Server mode

Have an idea or suggestion for features to be included in the upcoming The Major BBS v10? Let us know here
Duckula

Re: Client Server mode

Post by Duckula »

Exactly the reason for my question.

We are trying to determine if anyone is currently using the c/s mode as it stands in order to determine if it is worth keeping.

As far as the core product goes, what we want to do is provide a method by which the BBS can be accessed by an API, one that can be used across devices and operating systems.

We will need to get this in place first which will be a considerable amount of work. Once it is available, the community as well as us can build on it to make the kind of interfaces you are mentioning.
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner

Ragtop

Post by Ragtop »

I don't think I really had anyone using c/s on Adept. Most of them were mudders connecting with MegaMUD. I personally like to keep a copy for menu editing. As far as I know it's the only way the menu tree can be edited without taking the board down. If you can build in that functionality, I wouldn't have much use for c/s.

Jbod

Post by Jbod »

What are the functions of the current client server system and how do they fit in the context of today's app stores development, web development, and desktop software development? I understand that Apple and Android have restrictions on how software operates on the various platforms. Those aspects would have to be taken into consideration when developing software to access MBBS Apps. In addition what is the point of the restoration is it simply to keep the system in its current state and have it run on modern operating systems without the use of some type of system in a box (system emulation)? Is it to go back to simply a terminal bbs that people can run for nostalgia and living in the past?

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

Ragtop wrote:
> I don't think I really had anyone using c/s on Adept. Most of them were
> mudders connecting with MegaMUD. I personally like to keep a copy for menu
> editing. As far as I know it's the only way the menu tree can be edited
> without taking the board down. If you can build in that functionality, I
> wouldn't have much use for c/s.

welcome old friend...... speaking of MajorMud which i know you're big into... im making a new engine.

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

Jbod wrote:
> What are the functions of the current client server system and how do they
> fit in the context of today's app stores development, web development, and
> desktop software development? I understand that Apple and Android have
> restrictions on how software operates on the various platforms. Those
> aspects would have to be taken into consideration when developing software
> to access MBBS Apps. In addition what is the point of the restoration is
> it simply to keep the system in its current state and have it run on modern
> operating systems without the use of some type of system in a box (system
> emulation)? Is it to go back to simply a terminal bbs that people can run
> for nostalgia and living in the past?

quite frankly i say scrap the C/S mode and have all terminal mode services and a web front end.
not to mention has anyone ever tried porting this c/s stuff? ugh..... its still dependent on bc3 built libs.
wipe it clean go with a nice web portal, i currently just use the java remote sysop applet and it does me fine.
ofc my 2 cents

Ragtop

Post by Ragtop »

daniel_spain wrote:
> Ragtop wrote:
> > I don't think I really had anyone using c/s on Adept. Most of them were
> > mudders connecting with MegaMUD. I personally like to keep a copy for menu
> > editing. As far as I know it's the only way the menu tree can be edited
> > without taking the board down. If you can build in that functionality, I
> > wouldn't have much use for c/s.
>
> welcome old friend...... speaking of MajorMud which i know you're big into... im
> making a new engine.

Glad to be back! Was surprised to see this much activity compared to last time I was around.

MajorMUD is a decent game but I was always more of a Tradewars guy. But Mud paid the bills so that's where I went. As far as what you're working on, love to check it out and if i can get some users back on, do some real testing.

Bloodrock

Post by Bloodrock »

i use c/s client to for menu editing and is great for looking up user accounts and info never offered it for users to download

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

Bloodrock wrote:
> i use c/s client to for menu editing and is great for looking up user
> accounts and info never offered it for users to download

i will say that. the online menu editor is awesome. but.... its just a btrieve database itself.
pretty sure if i spent enough time i could write a menu editing addon.

megalith

Post by megalith »

For pretty much everything people are requesting/talking about in this thread - exposing a RESTful API and using JWT with e2e SSL (how many TLA's can we get in one sentence?) would be an amazing step.
This would cover the ability to write 3rd party external modules, mobile apps, web interfaces, etc - and solve the encryption issue.

For the MFA/2FA stuff; I'm all for it. Huge fan of yubi :)