Inbound Telnet/Rlogin ports

A place for new Sysops to meet, discuss their setup and get help.
GaryW

Inbound Telnet/Rlogin ports

Post by GaryW »

Hello,

I've been playing with MBBS 6.25 trying to add it to my game server. I can currently connect to it using COM/IP "modems". Reason being that I can change the port that COM/IP listens to.
I've searched and read through the docs but can't find an answer: Where (or even can I) do I change the port for inbound Telnet/Rlogin connections? I don't want to use standard ports as they are already in use.

Thanks,
Gary

Duckula

Re: Inbound Telnet/Rlogin ports

Post by Duckula »

What method are you using to accept inbound telnet connections? The Galacticomm ICO or another product such as MajorTCP/IP?
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner

GaryW

Post by GaryW »

Duckula wrote:
> What method are you using to accept inbound telnet connections? The
> Galacticomm ICO or another product such as MajorTCP/IP?

I believe it is MajorTCP/IP. Trying to setup Major 6.25.

Kracken

Post by Kracken »

GaryW wrote:
> Duckula wrote:
> > What method are you using to accept inbound telnet connections? The
> > Galacticomm ICO or another product such as MajorTCP/IP?
>
> I believe it is MajorTCP/IP. Trying to setup Major 6.25.

How are you setting up the DOS BBS? Through a VM on your (windows) host? Through DOSBOX? Direcltly in the NTVDM with some packet drivers?

As far as I know, you cannot directly change the binding TCP port (23) for the 6.x release. It's stuck to this standard.

If your BBS is exposed to outside world through your Windows host, you could use something like "fport" which works pretty well for redirecting anything inbound XXX to 23 on internal sub networks. Used it in the past, and it's simple + reliable.
Cheers,

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

you cannot modify the port parameters on the major tcp ip. i spoke with Sylvain on this couple years ago when i acquired my license and he has no plans to implement this as he acquired all the major/wg ip from vircom after retirement but is not actively developing anything.
i have made changes to the ICO2 (for worldgroup 2) and added config options for all port configs, as well as smtp authentication and whitelist options but this will not work on ico1. if someone were to get me the ico1 kit i will add these options. only kit i have is the wg2 extended kit. so if the major bbs 6.25 extended developers kit is online i will do it up right quick for ya.