Physical Hardware Requirements

Tele-Arena discussions
gaetanzo

Physical Hardware Requirements

Post by gaetanzo »

I have been experimenting with bringing my old board back online on period correct hardware. From what I can remember this was a 486/66DX2 with 64MB of RAM. Everything seems to work great until I load TeleArena at which point the system utilization on the Sysop page goes to +75% and the entire board with just me on there is horribly laggy. I feel like I was running TA on a 486 back in the day but wanted to ask if anyone knows what the recommended hardware was back in the day. I am trying to introduce my kids to some older hardware and TA but it seems like maybe I went to old of a processor with a 486? If anyone knows or remembers what the requirements were I would appreciate it!

Duckula

Re: Physical Hardware Requirements

Post by Duckula »

I would have expected that kind of hardware to be fine. What version on TA are you running? Have you tried any other versions?

Our resident TA expert Dan Spain will likely be able to provide more detailed info.
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner

BlaZ

Post by BlaZ »

Are you running Major BBS 6.25 directly on DOS? Somewhere in the CNF settings there is a "System Polling Rate" option. If you're seeing a slow console login, it might be that option. Make sure it's not set to 2400 or something low like that.

I could run TA on 6.25 in DOSBox emulating a 386, so your hardware should not be the issue.

gaetanzo

Post by gaetanzo »

Ok, I am glad you think this would be enough of a processor as well. It is 5.6d-Gold and I have yet to try a different version but I will see if I can find one somewhere. It's odd, everything works fine until I enable the TA module and then the system crawls when it finally loads.

Duckula wrote:
> I would have expected that kind of hardware to be fine. What version on TA
> are you running? Have you tried any other versions?
>
> Our resident TA expert Dan Spain will likely be able to provide more
> detailed info.