Troubleshooting SMTP Send Failed

A place for new Sysops to meet, discuss their setup and get help.
daniel_spain

Re: Troubleshooting SMTP Send Failed

Post by daniel_spain »

Ragtop wrote:
> Ok I think I understand. The module was written to meet the login standards
> at the time. Those standards have changed since then so it no longer works.
> I'm fine with that. My main concern was whether I need to continue trying
> to get it to work. There's nothing I can do from my end to fix it until a
> new module is written. Is that correct? Again, not complaining. Just making
> sure I understand what you're saying.

not at all. mine works just fine. i tested it 3 different ways and it sent and received email on all 3 occasions.
without knowing exactly whom you are relaying through, what their rules are, and what config you are
using to route to them i cannot say for sure the module is the issue at hand. smtp is a quite simple process
so rewriting for newer technologies is ideal but the one in place now works and handles email without a
hitch. i tested this using comcast home, comcast business, verizon fio business, shentel cable business, and
my own smtp relay server running synchronet smtp server version 1.12 for both win and linux (win7 and debian)
in all my setups all i did was select YES to USESMRT set the smarthost to the smtp server address of the relay server
i wanted to use and the only thing that differed here were the credentials and port number. some block off 25 and
require 587 or 487 some do not require authentication at all.

in jacksonville there is spectrum, at&t, and xfinity. while i have never dealt with the first 2 xfinity has 2 methods....

home accounts must authenticate via smtp.comcast.net on port 587 (25 is open but blocked from relay traffic)
business accounts do not require auth if coming from a static ip within their network (non static see above)

so for your setup if using xfinity home internet...

USESMRT=YES
Smarthost: smtp.comcast.net
PortNumber: 587
UseAuth=YES
Login: xxxxxxxxx@comcast.net
Password: xxxxxxxxx

go online send an email to IN:somename@somedomain.com and watch the audit trail, it should say success. if not it will give you a coded error like 550 or something.

keep in mind i have never tested this via major bbs v10, i run a custom core version 3.12 bbs and have yet to really dig into mbbsv10 as of yet.

one thing you could do is install a baseline ver 3.20 worldgroup server, set the galsmtp up, see if it gives you any issues, this will let me know if i need to tweak anything for mbbs10 compatibility.

Ragtop

Post by Ragtop »

I may try to set up fresh install and test it. I am using AT&T and have tried connecting through them, domain.com, godaddy.com, and dnsexit with no luck.

The weird part (that no one else seems to think is weird), is that no matter what smart server I put in, it comes back with the same error message showing the same ip address it's trying to connect to.

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

Ragtop wrote:
> I may try to set up fresh install and test it. I am using AT&T and have
> tried connecting through them, domain.com, godaddy.com, and dnsexit with no
> luck.
>
> The weird part (that no one else seems to think is weird), is that no
> matter what smart server I put in, it comes back with the same error
> message showing the same ip address it's trying to connect to.

yeah that is odd. nothing in the code is set to any specific ip. no developer would do that you would always
resolve hostnames and get ips. made a few changes here on my end to try and "break" it and boom it sent
email as well. i have incoming port 25 blocked but you can send it all day.

BlaZ

Post by BlaZ »

Do other things resolve correctly in Major BBS for you? Like if you use the host lookup client and lookup google.com, does it give you their IP, or does it give you that same weird one you keep seeing? Clearly Windows is resolving fine since your Outlook is working, but I'm curious if something is screwed up with your MBBS DNS settings.

Ragtop

Post by Ragtop »

Just tested the telnet client and logged on to Arctic Zone with no problem. DNS appears to be resolving properly.

BlaZ

Post by BlaZ »

Ha! Well, so much for that idea. :)

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

Ragtop wrote:
> Just tested the telnet client and logged on to Arctic Zone with no problem.
> DNS appears to be resolving properly.

i always had bad luck with GALSMTP anyhow this is why i wrote what i did. my actual
setup is email sent from the bbs goes through my relay server to deliver it to the
internet and when i receive email i have it go through my xchange server to deliver
it to my bbs. this keeps the bbs safe from ports 25 or 587 which spammers scan
for. on that note try to setup a generic wg3 system rq and let me know if it works.
a few things i rememebr when i was developing it is make sure the bbs includes
hostnames....

are you a comcast customer by chance? if so set it like so...

usesmrt set to YES
relay server set to smtp.comcast.net
smart host port set to 587
login ... yourname@comcast.net
password... yourpassword

then send an email to sysop@arcnet.synchro.net if it sends we're in business, if not you should see an error code in the audit.
give me that code