Addon Updating

Have an idea or suggestion for features to be included in the upcoming The Major BBS v10? Let us know here
daniel_spain

Addon Updating

Post by daniel_spain »

so everyone remembers old MajorBBS/Worldgroup addons.... you could simply upload the new DLL/MSG files and
when the system rebooted at cleanup the updates took..... With file locking and WG3 the files are in use and this
cannot be done. So if you modify wgsclean.bat sure you can have it copy any new files if they exist but what if it
was a core feature within the core?

the way i accomplish it now is:

i have an update folder branched off WGSERV (WGSERV\UPDATE)
and in that folder i have folders based off the name of the addon
(PLAT,PLAT20,etc....)

1. i check for a trigger file UPDATE.ME
2. if it exists it backs up the entire addon in a date/time stamped zip file and places it in a BACKUP folder
3. moves all files except UPDATE.ME to the WGSERV dir then deletes UPDATE.ME
4. cleanup ends and system restarts

during module init it detects if it was updated via the file ADDON.UPD and if so it sends an email to the sysop
account so i know it was successful.

i do it this long drawn out way because i manage so many games i actively develop and an auto-update feature would be great however
with an update system each developer could have a server that whomever is running their addon when their system restarts it would
check the addon developers server for an update and if it exists it would apply the update. This would be easier because it could only
update if the files that exist there are created/modifier with a date newer than what is already there.

i tinkered with this idea using an old Synchronet 3.00c method to how it updated QWK using terminal mode FTP batch files.
i will post it later, my request is for something included in the core.

Milton

Re: Addon Updating

Post by Milton »

Is UPDATE.ME a Custom BAT file?
Can you email it to me to look at?
Use to copy all the files to another folder with a simple bat file of my own years ago.

I like this idea will save a lot time in the end.

daniel_spain

Re: Addon Updating

Post by daniel_spain »

Milton wrote:
> Is UPDATE.ME a Custom BAT file?
> Can you email it to me to look at?
> Use to copy all the files to another folder with a simple bat file of my
> own years ago.
>
> I like this idea will save a lot time in the end.

that system i used was a copy from the synchronet 3.00c archive ill pull it down though.
right now i have a folder for all my custom engines. in this example its PLAT for Tele-Arena Platinum 2.0

C:\PLAT\UPDATE

during cleanup wgsclean.bat moves anything from the above folder to the WGSERV folder
this way i can simply ftp the files to there and at 3:am they get applied to the system and
the game itself will send me a text that it is updated. if i get up and dont have that text
i know something went wrong.