Hooples

A place to advertise your BBS
bigmelly

Hooples

Post by bigmelly »

Hello All,
I finally joined the MTGA movement (Make Telnet Great Again).
I have resurrected The Hooples BBS, originally running from '93-'98.
I am running WG #2 due to the some of the modules I have are no longer available.

The Headache: I started of using VirtualBox with FreeDos in a VM. All seemed to work well as I was tweaking the BBS. At that time I was not leaving
the BBS running for long periods of time. Only to find that the system clock in FreeDos would dramatically lose time and even stop. I could not find answers to this problem, so Windows was next.

What I have: I'm using an Intel NUC with Linux using VirtualBox (I did try Qemu) with two VM's running. One for the WG server and the other for Synchronet door server. So hopefully I do not run into major problems using window XP.

In just a few hours after I open the telnet port, the hacks started. Trying to Login as "admin" "root" "enable" etc. I do have my "Sysop" account suspended.

Feel free to visit website: hooplesbbs.net (in works), Telnet : bbs.hooplesbbs.net

Things to do: I have to find my Mailink doc's, don't remember how to link up.

Happy Holidays to everybody! I'm sure we can all agree that we are happy to see 2020 leave!

bigmelly

Re: Hooples

Post by bigmelly »

Hello All,

well the hacks managed to freeze the system 3 times already.
I changed the port to 8023 thanks to a fix I found provided by daniel_spain.

bbs.hooplesbbs.net:8023

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

bigmelly wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> well the hacks managed to freeze the system 3 times already.
> I changed the port to 8023 thanks to a fix I found provided by
> daniel_spain.
>
> bbs.hooplesbbs.net:8023

and god forbid you leave port 25 open, the smtp out file exceeded 2 gig within 48 hours.

currently working on authentication requirements for the smtp server.

BadOPCode

Post by BadOPCode »

daniel_spain wrote:
> bigmelly wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > well the hacks managed to freeze the system 3 times already.
> > I changed the port to 8023 thanks to a fix I found provided by
> > daniel_spain.
> >
> > bbs.hooplesbbs.net:8023
>
> and god forbid you leave port 25 open, the smtp out file exceeded 2 gig within 48
> hours.
>
> currently working on authentication requirements for the smtp server.

I'm working on a IPSec program that frontends for the BBS (telnet and SMTP on the alpha test) and prevents the bad boys from ruining your stuff. All the alpha tests on my board have been really positive. I've used it to poison a couple of botnets already and my domain has earned a DNFW flag from them. I've tar-pitted them into a fake root and poisoned their logs already. :) When they issue commands that I know their listening and capturing I start sending infinite random data until they disconnect. The verdictive part of wrecking botnet's is totally optional. But it makes my cold black heart all warm and fuzzy wrecking their day.
I'm close to making a beta version soon that is going to have a ton of features. If anyone is interested I can post to the forum when I've made a release.

On the mail service.... I have a paid service (DNSExit) that handles my DDNS and mail redirection so my incoming and outgoing is on a non-standard port. I got from Daniel (I think) a copy of his SMTP that allows you to enter authentication to upstream SMTP relay.