Putting an old board on line

Chat, tips, tricks and help for Veteran Sysops
tus

Putting an old board on line

Post by tus »

Hi everyone.

TUS, The Unknown Sysop from the Unknown BBS here.

I ran a BBS in Phoenix AZ from the early 1980s until the late 1990s. It started out on an Apple II with BBS software written in Basic. We moved to an x86 computer and ran several different packages including WWIV. But the last and most popular version of the board ran on MajorBBS.

I have all the backup files from the old board and I have gotten it to run on a DOS VM. But I just ran 6 dial-in modems back in the day and never ran a telnet service. So I don't have the add-on package for telnet. I'm fine just running my old 6 user license if I could get it to connect to telnet. But so far I have not worked out how to do that.

I can get the free 6.25 version to run and pick up a telnet connection. So how difficult should it be to transfer over the message boards from the old system to a fresh install of 6.25? A lot of my old users are interested in seeing their old poetry post and reliving all the teenage angst that they had posted. So I would like to bring the board back with the old menus and message boards. But I'm not sure what files to bring across from the old board. Any ace 6.25 sysops out there that can give me some pointers?

Thanks.

BlaZ

Re: Putting an old board on line

Post by BlaZ »

You can probably just install the Galacticomm ICO package from the Free MBBS 6.25 installation files onto your original system. It's in the GALICO folder. You also might be able to up your line count using the GALPACK part of the free stuff. Although now that I think about it, that might be tied to the free activation code 62506250. I'm not sure.

At least that's somewhere to start.

BlaZ

Duckula

Post by Duckula »

Hi tus,

As BlaZ mentioned, you should be able to run your existing backup and install the GALICO for telnet access - this would be the easiest and least painful approach.

If you needed to up your line count I can generate another GALPACK for you.
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner

tus

Post by tus »

I tried to install the GALICO package and the first part went fine. But then it runs GALPACK.exe which asks for the serial number of the GALPACK which I don't have. So that seems to be a dead-end for the time being.

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

tus wrote:
> I tried to install the GALICO package and the first part went fine. But
> then it runs GALPACK.exe which asks for the serial number of the GALPACK
> which I don't have. So that seems to be a dead-end for the time being.

if you were running wg2 (which your galgsbl.dll will work on) i still actively update the galico 2
but i have yet to ever have seen the galico 1 sdk so cant help much there in terms of bbsv6

Duckula

Post by Duckula »

tus wrote:
> I tried to install the GALICO package and the first part went fine. But
> then it runs GALPACK.exe which asks for the serial number of the GALPACK
> which I don't have. So that seems to be a dead-end for the time being.

The serial number should be in the documentation for the free version.

If you require a GALPACK for your original BBS Reg# then email support(at)themajorbbs(dot)com and one can be sent to you.
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner