majormud 1.11p

Add-on module development discussions, including non-Galacticomm branded modules
Endyr

Re: majormud 1.11p

Post by Endyr »

Could someone please tell me how to install majormud 1.11p on The Major BBS v10? I don't have a clue, though I have the BBS running smoothly locally. Thank you very much.

BlaZ

Post by BlaZ »

If you downloaded a ZIP containing a bunch of files, but not a SETUP.EXE, then it's likely the extracted files from the old installer. In that case, you just copy all of those files into your BBSV10 directory and add MajorMUD to your menu tree.

If you have the actual old installer with a setup.exe file, and it's not running on your version of Windows, then it will be a bit more complicated.

BlaZ

Endyr

Post by Endyr »

Hi when I unzip the MUD archive it's a bunch of files. OK so I copy that into the BBS directory. What are the commands for the TREE, and for CONFIG for the BBS? I don't know any of that because V10 is unlike the 6.25, that I know so well. Thank you. Is there a manual for V10? Thank you.

BlaZ

Post by BlaZ »

Nah there's no real manual. At one point someone was going to try to convert the old .hlp (windows help) files to a PDF, but I don't believe that was ever completed. And it's a real pain in the ass trying to get a modern version of Windows to open those files. You'll likely end up with a virus if you follow any of the online ideas.

For most configuration you'll use "General Settings" which should have been created in your Major BBS start menu folder. Menu tree editor is what you need for adding/removing menu items. If it wasn't created during install, just run C:\BBSV10\WGSRUNMT.EXE manually for the menu tree editor.

For adding activation codes and other security things, use the "Security And Accounting" option.

Frank Dux

Post by Frank Dux »

Your best bet for MajorMUD documentation is the WCCMMUD.RLN.

This covers installation, the CNF configuration options as well as some helpful functions and utilities.

Endyr

Post by Endyr »

How do I find WCCMMUD.RLN as I have not found a copy of TheMajorMUD to download as of it? I'm trying to find a copy of theMajorMUD that does not have setup.exe. Thank you very much.

Frank Dux

Post by Frank Dux »

All official installs will require the installation via the INSTALL.EXE file. All 15 versions I have specific for the MajorBBS v6.25, from WCCR5P(x) to WCCR7P(x), all require this method of install.

Be aware, to receive a copy in the format you're requesting - expanded files only - may mean your copy comes with additional edits and modifications by their predecessor and may not resemble the original experience you or the developers intended.

One potential avenue you have is to install a VM (I personally use Windows 2000) to just run the install and extract the files which can then be dragged and dropped from there to your desired BBS setup. You do not need a BBS setup to run the install - the installation will stop once it cant find the BBS files, however, this will still give you the desired results of all original files only in the directory you specified.

Endyr

Post by Endyr »

Hi Frank. If I understand you correctly, I have to run the majormud 1.1p setup.exe, and the extracted files will reside in a directory that it creates specifically for the extraction. Then I copy over all of those files over to my BBS V10 directory. Is that it? Do I need to do any further extractions? Thank you very much.

Frank Dux

Post by Frank Dux »

Yes, that's right.

The install for the MajorBBS v6.25 differs slightly from the WG ones. The first option is the install folder - leave as is - hit ENTER.

The next option is to select where you want the install to go - this defaults to C:\BBSV6 - and you can change this to whatever you want (ie C:\MUD); because you just want the extracted files.

The install will be only seconds and then will abort. That's ok!

The installation files will be sitting in the output folder of C:\BBSV6 - or whatever you selected.

I know for earlier MBBSV6 versions it used to put a CATASTRO.TXT and the WCCMMUD.ZIP file there and not expand it, however, if this is still the case for the version you use, you can just unzip that as that's the file you're essentially after.

Your WCCMMUD.RLN file should be in there as well.

Make a backup of it if that's the case ;)

Endyr

Post by Endyr »

The MajorMud install worked perfectly and the BBS showed that the system recognized the MUD files on the BBS Activity Page. I entered all of activation codes for the MUD in the CNF utility. One more hurdle: How do I add majormud to my menu tree? I created a page on the menu tree call MUD, but it sits as an orphan on the lower left of the screen. What do I do next? Thank you.