Console Stats not populating

The place to report bugs/issues with MBBS v10
Frank Dux

Console Stats not populating

Post by Frank Dux »

Just ran first successful cleanup and noted that the Stats screen had not populated.

I did a quick look and did not find this referenced anywhere else.

- Date occurred: 27/09/2023
- MBBS v10 Release number: MBBS v10 Beta R32
- System load/usage at time of crash (if known): Low
- Can you reproduce the crash? If so, how?: Does not crash; just an OCD observation.
- Did you recently make any changes to your system such as adding new modules or changing configuration? First successful cleanup.

Duckula

Re: Console Stats not populating

Post by Duckula »

Did the stats generate on the second cleanup?
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner

Frank Dux

Post by Frank Dux »

I have not had the server running consecutively for 2 straight days. Since then, have upgraded the host to Windows 10 and now the server wont complete a cleanup or shutdown without a windows error.

Same files are fine on Windows 7. Have not been able to locate the problem. Have reverted back to WG3 for the time being.

A successful BBSV10 shutdown on Windows 7 looked like this in the audit logs:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20230928 134318 SERVER SHUTDOWN Console
20230928 134318 DialChat: Saving channels U# 0100 DialChat! 2.6
20230928 134318 DialChat: Cleaning Bulletins U# 0100 DialChat! 2.6
20230928 134318 DialChat: Done with cleanup. U# 0100 DialChat! 2.6
20230928 134318 ELW Hi-Rollers Shutdown Started Console Hi-Rollers Shutdown started.
20230928 134320 ELW Hi-Rollers Shutdown Closed Console Hi-Rollers shutdown completed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When shutdown on Windows 10, it only goes this far:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20230928 134318 SERVER SHUTDOWN Console
20230928 134318 DialChat: Saving channels U# 0100 DialChat! 2.6
20230928 134318 DialChat: Cleaning Bulletins U# 0100 DialChat! 2.6
20230928 134318 DialChat: Done with cleanup. U# 0100 DialChat! 2.6
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still tinkering. Will require some module disabling to troubleshoot.

I'll restore the Win7 snapshot and initiate 2 consecutive clean ups and test the stat creation component.

Duckula

Post by Duckula »

Yes I would recommend disabling modules to see which one is causing the problem.

Once identified let us know and we will see what can be done.

Maybe start with ELW hi-rollers as it is the first one that isn't present on Windows 10.
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner

Frank Dux

Post by Frank Dux »

I just found out it's DialChat - I can confirm that stats populate on or around the 2nd cleanup. Ran 3 consecutive cleanups and a successful shutdown whist DialChat was disabled.

Re-enabled DialChat and on it's 2nd shutdown, it bricks the board. Needs to be second - first shutdown with DialChat is fine - but consistently the second one causes errors. I have sent additional details including screens to Support.

So stats do populat on 2nd cleanup. Thank you.

Frank Dux

Post by Frank Dux »

Update: Day 4 of consecutive uptime and still no stats.

During the course of my testing, I was initiating manual cleanups to simulate module behaviour during cleanup. It is possible stats are only being populated first time during a manual cleanup?

Frank Dux

Post by Frank Dux »

After over a week of non populating, I copied the files across to the Staging server, changed IPADDR accordingly, ran a manual cleanup and stats populated for October correctly.

Copied files back to the Live Server, changed IPADDR accordingly. Will monitor for stat changes over coming days.

Frank Dux

Post by Frank Dux »

Stats appear to be recorded but aren't being correctly displayed on the console.

Having spent days on this now, if you found this post because you're having the same issue - do not migrate your board. Start from a new install and rebuild from scratch or upgrade only and ignore the clutter that v10 does not use.

Ragtop

Post by Ragtop »

Hey Frank, Just wanted to add my experience to this. I moved my board from an XP to Win 10 about a year ago. Did full 3.2 install to the new server to ensure all registry variables were installed, copied my backup to it, then upgraded to v10. No problem with stats at all. Only issue I had was the console display being all jumbled. Fixed this by choosing "Use Legacy Console" in the window options.

Did you install it this way, or just copy your backup over? If not, I suggest trying it. Hopefully, that fixes your issue.

Frank Dux

Post by Frank Dux »

Hey Ragtop,

Appreciate the input.

This is a new full install of v10 and relevant board history (Forum, Files, Email, etc) DATs moved 1 module at a time. Once the board was operational, then each ISV module (including mine) was also migrated 1 by 1 and tested for access, shutdown and cleanup behaviour. This way I was able to identity some modules not previously listed. It also resulted in a very clean structure compared to that of the board's history of MBBS->WG20->WG3.

Duckula has been fantastic in his pursuit of finding the cause and looks like we have narrowed the issue down to WGSPSTAT.EXE not generating the .BIN files on the Live environment (they get created in Staging). The stats are all being recorded correctly, just the top 4: Lines-in-use, Calls/Baud, Time used/hr and Time used/g# not updating correctly in the consolve view after cleanup.