DMA Server/RLogin?

Have an idea or suggestion for features to be included in the upcoming The Major BBS v10? Let us know here
Abraxis

DMA Server/RLogin?

Post by Abraxis »

I guess this kinda goes here...

Since Vircom never made the DMA Server for WGNT, I wonder if we could get something like it as part of baseline or an add on module. If not DMA Server maybe RLogin could do the same. (Maybe RLogin already does?)
Abraxis/Len
Mainline Information Service

Duckula

Re: DMA Server/RLogin?

Post by Duckula »

This is definitely something we will be looking at, thanks for the suggestion.
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

Abraxis wrote:
> I guess this kinda goes here...
>
> Since Vircom never made the DMA Server for WGNT, I wonder if we could get
> something like it as part of baseline or an add on module. If not DMA
> Server maybe RLogin could do the same. (Maybe RLogin already does?)

the rlogin server on my own system allows "direct" logging in so i sort of have my own DMA
system. So the way i did it required alot of modifications in several areas not just in the
GALRLGND module itself. Worldgroup also had to be able to accept the connection, determine
it was an rlogin connection, and log the user in. Now notice i said this is on my own system only?
well that is because rlogin connections open up security issues. What happens if you have a co-sysop
by the name of Maverick who possesses the MASTER key and a user named Maverick rlogins in from
another system? it would log him into that Mavericks account. But that is what Rlogin is, Synchronet
has a few config files that allow some options and i wrote some mods to the rlogin client to support
tagging the name with a system id. So now that i got authentication and logging in working i am
working on a way to maybe isolate it so the system detects its an rlogin connection check a config
file (maybe a file with a list of ips that are allowed) and maybe even encrypting a string to what it
wants to do when it connects (maybe connect to module page MAJORMUD) you know basically
what the dma server does.
My second question comes as what exactly you needing the dma server for.... specific module that is
not on wgnt you want to host on a major bbs system?

Abraxis

Post by Abraxis »

daniel_spain wrote:
> Abraxis wrote:
> > I guess this kinda goes here...
> >
> > Since Vircom never made the DMA Server for WGNT, I wonder if we could get
> > something like it as part of baseline or an add on module. If not DMA
> > Server maybe RLogin could do the same. (Maybe RLogin already does?)
>
> the rlogin server on my own system allows "direct" logging in so i sort of
> have my own DMA
> system. So the way i did it required alot of modifications in several areas not just
> in the
> GALRLGND module itself. Worldgroup also had to be able to accept the connection,
> determine
> it was an rlogin connection, and log the user in. Now notice i said this is on my own
> system only?
> well that is because rlogin connections open up security issues. What happens if you
> have a co-sysop
> by the name of Maverick who possesses the MASTER key and a user named Maverick
> rlogins in from
> another system? it would log him into that Mavericks account. But that is what Rlogin
> is, Synchronet
> has a few config files that allow some options and i wrote some mods to the rlogin
> client to support
> tagging the name with a system id. So now that i got authentication and logging in
> working i am
> working on a way to maybe isolate it so the system detects its an rlogin connection
> check a config
> file (maybe a file with a list of ips that are allowed) and maybe even encrypting a
> string to what it
> wants to do when it connects (maybe connect to module page MAJORMUD) you know
> basically
> what the dma server does.
> My second question comes as what exactly you needing the dma server for.... specific
> module that is
> not on wgnt you want to host on a major bbs system?

Two things I was thinking. A MBBS 6.25 system with some of the mods that won’t run on WGNT, (think infinity complex....), and also to share all these mods I own that are not available to buy anymore with other systems.
Abraxis/Len
Mainline Information Service

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

Abraxis wrote:
> daniel_spain wrote:
> > Abraxis wrote:
> > > I guess this kinda goes here...
> > >
> > > Since Vircom never made the DMA Server for WGNT, I wonder if we could get
> > > something like it as part of baseline or an add on module. If not DMA
> > > Server maybe RLogin could do the same. (Maybe RLogin already does?)
> >
> > the rlogin server on my own system allows "direct" logging in so i
> sort of
> > have my own DMA
> > system. So the way i did it required alot of modifications in several areas not
> just
> > in the
> > GALRLGND module itself. Worldgroup also had to be able to accept the connection,
> > determine
> > it was an rlogin connection, and log the user in. Now notice i said this is on
> my own
> > system only?
> > well that is because rlogin connections open up security issues. What happens if
> you
> > have a co-sysop
> > by the name of Maverick who possesses the MASTER key and a user named Maverick
> > rlogins in from
> > another system? it would log him into that Mavericks account. But that is what
> Rlogin
> > is, Synchronet
> > has a few config files that allow some options and i wrote some mods to the
> rlogin
> > client to support
> > tagging the name with a system id. So now that i got authentication and logging
> in
> > working i am
> > working on a way to maybe isolate it so the system detects its an rlogin
> connection
> > check a config
> > file (maybe a file with a list of ips that are allowed) and maybe even
> encrypting a
> > string to what it
> > wants to do when it connects (maybe connect to module page MAJORMUD) you know
> > basically
> > what the dma server does.
> > My second question comes as what exactly you needing the dma server for....
> specific
> > module that is
> > not on wgnt you want to host on a major bbs system?
>
> Two things I was thinking. A MBBS 6.25 system with some of the mods that won’t run on
> WGNT, (think infinity complex....), and also to share all these mods I own that are
> not available to buy anymore with other systems.

Rick has the code/rights to IC. i vaguely remember a test version of a port someone tested and ran into stability issues. So he has the ability to get a v3 version at the very least and even if there is an unstable test out there at my own very least i can trace crashes and find out why its happening and it can be fixed.
without the code i managed to eliminate 23 Mutants crashes under WG3.

Questman

Post by Questman »

>Rick has the code/rights to IC. i vaguely remember a test version of a port someone tested and ran into stability issues. So he has the ability to get a v3 version at the very least and
>even if there is an unstable test out there at my own very least i can trace crashes and find out why its happening and it can be fixed. without the code i managed to eliminate 23 >Mutants crashes under WG3.

Can you share with me how you resolved the Mutants! crashes?

Would you be willing to help stability test other modules? I know we have plans for more TA expansions but do you have time for that?

Re: Infinity Complex -- yes! There's a WG3x version -- it's relatively stable too, I think. I need to put it up to let more people test it (Dan...???? :) )
Founder, The Major BBS Restoration Project
Owner, Elwynor Technologies ISV
Former Owner, Galacticomm IP (2005-2020)
Contributor, Galacticomm IP baseline

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

Questman wrote:
> >Rick has the code/rights to IC. i vaguely remember a test version of a port
> someone tested and ran into stability issues. So he has the ability to get a v3
> version at the very least and
> >even if there is an unstable test out there at my own very least i can trace
> crashes and find out why its happening and it can be fixed. without the code i
> managed to eliminate 23 >Mutants crashes under WG3.
>
> Can you share with me how you resolved the Mutants! crashes?
>
> Would you be willing to help stability test other modules? I know we have plans for
> more TA expansions but do you have time for that?
>
> Re: Infinity Complex -- yes! There's a WG3x version -- it's relatively stable too, I
> think. I need to put it up to let more people test it (Dan...???? :) )

ok so Mutants crashes. someone from the original site sent me the crash logs and i used it to
track which message file was crashing and in 90% of those cases we fixed crashes by replacing
some %s / %d variables because as we all know WG3 was unforgiving with (null pointer)
errors where mbbs/wg1/wg2 would just print it with no issue.
Almost got the dos source once but the guy disappeared......

Stability testing, sure its not really that difficult. During my "porting" phases of TSGARN-1.LIB
i ran a vanilla copy of the game on a native dos system and had it writing all sorts of things
to audit and text files and used those data logs to create the end product. When stability
testing i use the already existing error logs and in most cases its message files and in other
cases i can use the address mapping listings to determine where the crash started so i
can narrow it down to atleast 2 functions or "between 2 functions"

the TA expansions at least the ones i did only use 2 engines... TA56 is my own port of my own TSGARN port
which was cleaned up for optimization and stability with the sysop commands. and the others all use my own base
TAGE engine, which as luck would have it is being battle tested as we speak in a platinum 2.0 alpha release
i released just last night on my live bbs. So i got plenty time while my players pick it apart.

Questman

Post by Questman »

Let me know what fixes you made to Mutants. We can get at least an official build out that fixes crashes for it, even though we can't license it to anyone because Metro owns it. If there's code to be changed we could do that too but the priority would be lower than modules we own the legal rights to.

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

Questman wrote:
> Let me know what fixes you made to Mutants. We can get at least an
> official build out that fixes crashes for it, even though we can't license
> it to anyone because Metro owns it. If there's code to be changed we could
> do that too but the priority would be lower than modules we own the legal
> rights to.

ill put a copy up today and start there.

Questman

Post by Questman »

You rock! Thank you!