WTB: Major BBS v6.25 and Major BBS TCP

General chat not related to other community topics
Alan

WTB: Major BBS v6.25 and Major BBS TCP

Post by Alan »

Hey y'all I would like to purchase a LEGITIMATE copy of Major BBS and Major BBS TCP. The disks, manuals and boxes would be nice but are not required. I do require that you prove the BBS is working with Major BBS TCP and you must be willing to allow Duckula to verify your serial number is legitimate before any money changes hands.

My goal is to purchase Infinity Complex and setup a BBS for myself and my friends to enjoy. We spent hours playing it on local BBS's and would like to re-live those memories. I would not restrict the general people from the internet from using the BBS as long as they were respectful but I'm not really looking to run a BBS as much as I am having our own place to enjoy this game.

Also thanks everbody who has sent me messages about the other sources of Major BBS. Understand that the one source does not support Infinity Complex and the others are NOT legitimite. I also don't want to buy a serial server and connect serial ports up to a dedicated computer just to use it with the internet.I need a LEGITIMATE copy of Major BBS and Major BBS TCP (for internet access) to be able to purchase Infinity Complex.

Finally I want to say I'm very appreciative of Duckula giving away free copies of the software he's invested his own money in but I've tried to get both of the Free Editions working with ICO and neither will work for me. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not and I have used a DOS packet driver successfully before but I just want to get this going.

I'll gladly pay some money for something you may have laying around unused. So if you have a copy laying around and collecting dust PLEASE reply to this post or send me a message and we'll work out the details.

Thanks and have a great day!

Questman

Re: WTB: Major BBS v6.25 and Major BBS TCP

Post by Questman »

Elwynor Technologies owns Infinity Complex. It works great on 6.25, but we're still in BETA for the NT version.

Stay tuned on ICO1. The other option is WG2 - but I haven't had anyone run IC on WG2. :)
Founder, The Major BBS Restoration Project
Owner, Elwynor Technologies ISV
Former Owner, Galacticomm IP (2005-2020)
Contributor, Galacticomm IP baseline

Alan

Post by Alan »

Thanks and I might be interested but I'm not really familar with the world group. I'd really like to get the Major BBS Free Edition working with the internet. Is there any plans to make a Free Edition of the world group 2 and if a purchase Infinity Complex from elywnor.com would it work on the world group 2?

Questman

Post by Questman »

Worldgroup is just renamed Major BBS. They wanted to catch on to the "Groupware" thing that was going on in the mid 1990s. WG1 was 6.25 with very minor fixes and the WG Manager addon. WG2 had more architectural changes -- modules built for WG3 can be cross-compiled to WG2 easily, but these modules won't run on 625/WG1 because it requires the WG2 architecture.

Alan

Post by Alan »

But elywnor.com says Infinity Complex runs on Major BBS 6.25???? I'm pretty sure it does?

Questman

Post by Questman »

I also said that above :)

Alan

Post by Alan »

OK sorry the last post was confusing.

Questman

Post by Questman »

My points were:

- Worldgroup is the same as The Major BBS. Galacticomm renamed the product to try to compete with Novell GroupWise, Lotus Notes, etc. in the group ware space.

- Major BBS 6.25 and Worldgroup 1, BBS-wise, are functionally the same except for the introduction of the Worldgroup Manager Windows client in WG1.

- Worldgroup 2.0 for DOS introduced some architectural changes that MAY lead to some modules being wonky on it that work fine in 6.25/WG1. Generally, most modules work fine across the three, but anything that touches the old or new changed APIs needed to be updated. Therefore modules generally fall into 3 categories - Major BBS 6.25/WG1, WG2 DOS, and WG3.1/3.2+ NT (yes, I'm skipping WG3.0 purposely)

So, net net, nothing to be afraid of with WG builds vs. Major BBS. But I noted that I have not tested Infinity Complex on WG2, so I can't fully recommend that path yet, although I do not believe it leverages any of the messaging functions.

Alan

Post by Alan »

Are there plans to make a The World Group 2 free edition? I just know the major bbs because that is what we used but as long as I can run Infinity Complex it doesn't matter a lot. Can The World Group 2 be made to look like The Major BBS?

Duckula

Post by Duckula »

Worldgroup looks just like the major bbs v6 when connecting via telnet. We are offering frew 32 user versions of wg3 (the next version from wg2 obviously).

It runs on Windows and has all the networking baked in.

As Questman said, he is testing infinity complex for this.

Regardless I will also put out a guide for the DOS major bbs free edition in the coming days.
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner