Revive my old BBS

The place to talk about the iconic BBS era
hamanjam

Revive my old BBS

Post by hamanjam »

Hello all. New guy here to the site but old Sysop with a question. I have an old tape backup of my MBBS 6.25 system and all my access keys. I was able to bring the system up but telnet access was not apparently complete when the backup was done. Is there anything I could do to bring this old system back and maintain the users? I still have contact with some of the former members and all their accounts are still there frozen in time. It would be great to get the old Tele-Arena game going as well as a few others.

Bloodrock

Re: Revive my old BBS

Post by Bloodrock »

could try the galico1 file thou there been issuses or contact questman or duckula or dan spain or if you happened to write your vircom reg and actcode somewhere. i recorded all my actcodes in my mbbs manual. no idea what you installed your mbbs on dos, win???.
it is still possible to download the vircom demo and if you find your actcode will work.

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

hamanjam wrote:
> Hello all. New guy here to the site but old Sysop with a question. I have
> an old tape backup of my MBBS 6.25 system and all my access keys. I was
> able to bring the system up but telnet access was not apparently complete
> when the backup was done. Is there anything I could do to bring this old
> system back and maintain the users? I still have contact with some of the
> former members and all their accounts are still there frozen in time. It
> would be great to get the old Tele-Arena game going as well as a few
> others.

Galico 1 we got a build for you. themajorbbs.com/files pul galico1 from the files.
im working on getting a copy of the 1.0 source so i can get ya some greta qol
features i added in 2.1 also please note:

you can use worldgroup 2.0 as well and all your act codes and reg stuff will still work.
http://arcticzone-hosting.net/worldgroup/distro/WG200D.ZIP when it asks for your activation
code hits ESC and copy your GALGSBL.DLL from BBSV6 and you're set.

hamanjam

Post by hamanjam »

This was all MBBS on DOS 6.22. The backup is from somewhere around 1994 I believe. I'll see what I can figure out. Ideally, I would love to see everything brought online as is from then with Telnet access.

Bloodrock

Post by Bloodrock »

as dan says wg2 for dos gives you telnet out of the box and do as he stated bout the mbbs file to replace the wg2 file