Nostalgia BBS is coming back!!!

Running a Major BBS or Worldgroup system? Let everyone know!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Malakai
Nostalgia BBS is coming back!!!

Post by Malakai »

For awhile, we toyed around the idea of coming back - should we come back or not? If so, when? What changes would we have to make before bringing it all back on-line? hundreds of other questions......

In less than two months from now, it'll mark the 1 year anniversary of Nostalgia BBS going down last time. Right before the BBS went down, we had a grand reveal, which was about six months worth of ideas put into some massive updates to the BBS.

Soon afterwards, our ISP went haywire..... Ask Joe about this.. he had to deal with my IP changing 1000 times every day when he was feeding my newsgroups and dma access to Trade wars and GE. Not only were we having so many ISP problems when everything seemed normal, but we also had to deal with the massive amounts of power surges in our area. We ended up buying one battery backup system for the router, so that when these surges occurred, we wouldn't lost the IP address, but we found out that when our power surged, apparently the phone company's power did too. So, even with the battery backup, it really didn't help much at all.

There were a few other problems with a couple of people trying to ruin the BBS for everyone else, but for the most part, the isp problems were why we had to shut down. No one could stay connected for more than a few minutes with out being disconnected, and that just wasn't acceptable.

The reason why not having a changing IP address was important is because when you're connected to a DMA server, you have to have a physical IP apparently for security measures, as well as the password. When that IP changes, the person running the DMA server has to change the setting to a new IP.. Apparently it was the same with the news feeds too.

I still don't have a static IP, nor can I afford one. So, hooking up to a DMA server is pretty much out of the question, but if the board needs newsfeeds, I'll consider just letting synchronet grab them for the board.

Now, I believe the ISP problems are pretty much fixed, even though I know we'll still have a lot of storm surges, which can't be helped.

Around friday, I started working hard on Nostalgia BBS again. I worked on it from about 9am to midnight, and then today until about 5 or 6pm, and now I'm taking a break...

I'm not going to set a timeline for Nostalgia BBS to be back up, but it's officially being worked on again.. Here are a list of a few things we've already done:

Edited/Updated thousands of lines texts
Edited/updated many menus
Added who knows how many new menus, to try to tie in some of the stuff we had originally started on a year ago that we didn't have time to do.
Changed over the door game server to a new case and new power supply
Started finishing up the ANSI Art Gallery on the BBS side (not the web side yet)
Changed over the servers to wifi
The DOS/DMA server has been upgraded from 233mhz server to a 950mhz windows 2000 computer, using vmware
Added some remote sysop options from the DMA server to the main board so that I can access those functions through telnet if need be.
Some file library maintenance
etc

What's left to do?

Thousands more lines of text to edit
Who knows how many more ansi menus?
more file library stuff
possibly finish up the web ansi art gallery (converting like 460 ansis to jpg and putting a link up to each and every one of them from the flash website)
Get a new hard drive for the main server
get some more wifi stuff
maybe add another game/mod or two
find a perm location for the servers again
and probably 500 other things..........

When we did the grand reveal, we just scheduled 30 minutes here or an hour here and there to be down and tried to sneak in updates until most were completed before we told any one about each and every update. It's hard to do a good job when you only have a few minutes to do this and that and really just don't have the time it may take to update the board the way you want it.

Unlike that, when we have time off of our other projects, we can work on the bbs, with no timelines, and no people to disappoint because the board had been down 10 minutes more than it was suppose to have, if you get my drift.

As I said, I really don't know when the BBS will come back online, but we are officially working on them.....

to keep up to date with some of the stuff, join our web board at http://nostalgiabbs.servebbs.net

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

Just a little update on Nostalgia BBS.. We plan on coming back sometime in November, 2008. We originally wanted to come back by August 2008, but so many other projects have gotten in our way, with both financial reasons and time constraints.

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

Another update.. Some of you may be seeing that Nostalgia BBS is connected to worldlink. This doesn't mean that the board is open back up to the Internet yet though. If you've tried to connect, obviously, you wouldn't be able to, because the ip is pointing to an invision message board.

Yesterday, we got the main server out of storage and have been working on it, and now, we're testing it out!

Don't fret though. Nostalgia BBS is still coming back on-line some time next month!!!!!

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

Just been working on the web pages mainly, and testing stuff out. I've been testing the DMA server out the last couple days too.