Saturn V BBS

Running a Major BBS or Worldgroup system? Let everyone know!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Ckoi

Saturn V BBS

Post by Ckoi »

Hey everyone!!

Saturn V BBS ran from 1986 to 1997 originally... and I have recently decided to put it back up as kind of a hobby now... Running MBBS 6.25 for DOS

www.saturnvbbs.net

Stop in and say hello... play a game, talk a little... have fun !!

SysOp / Ckoi

Drex

Post by Drex »

You need to take off all the garbage at signup, other then registraters name, now a days I wont fill out all that info....

dspain

Post by dspain »

Drex wrote:You need to take off all the garbage at signup, other then registraters name, now a days I wont fill out all that info....
yeah i have mine modded now to only ask email address, d.o.b

Drex

Post by Drex »

Yeah I only ask name/DOB... for some reason most are probably true DOB, but the names are sometimes like Joe Joejoe or *ick me lol but with the dup. Ip module I dont really care for any other info (other then write thier IP to a log....cough cough would be great {Rick} ) :)

dspain

Post by dspain »

Drex wrote:Yeah I only ask name/DOB... for some reason most are probably true DOB, but the names are sometimes like Joe Joejoe or *ick me lol but with the dup. Ip module I dont really care for any other info (other then write thier IP to a log....cough cough would be great {Rick} ) :)
well the way i do it mixed with my email verifier, it goes as such:

Email Address:[ ]

this is actually the old real name field, i use it rather than store a whole
new piece of data.

Date Of Birth:[ ]

then it goes on to ask for user-id blah b;ah....

ok so now when ya get to the hit enter to create account.

now loads the email verifier.

this gives them a restricted menu and disables /go commands.
when you select option to verify it reads the real name field in the
Wg accounting database you entered an email address in.
it checks for 1 @ and 1 . in it (domain checking is optional which restricts wierd domain names and only allows ones like .com, .org, etc...)

so if the email address is formatted ok it sends a code to that email address, the code is an 8, 16, or 32 (configurable) digit numeric code totally random.

the code expires 72hrs after it is generated which then has the option of deleting the account or switching it to another class (i have an account class called PURGE which the system autodeletes every 7 days) which gives them 1 week to re-verify or its gone.

downside to my program is it cant catch the email address during signup to check for dupes, however you can tell it not to verify duplicate email addressed accounts which would delete them anyhow in 72hrs.

my program also stores the IP address the account was created from.

believe it or not this will eliminate prolly 40% of the BS accounts on your system.

i havent released a BETA yet cause i found a small glitch in the send_email function which im working with someone to resolve.

i may mod up the WG smtp stuff so it wont be required to run the addon and it will check for GALSMTP stuff to be initialized and if not temporarily initialize it just to send the email on X port.

i intend on releasing my own SMTP stuff soon anyhow to get rid of the IN:blah blah and have it just catch @ in the email address and switch to internet mode.

Questman

Post by Questman »

Drex wrote:Yeah I only ask name/DOB... for some reason most are probably true DOB, but the names are sometimes like Joe Joejoe or *ick me lol but with the dup. Ip module I dont really care for any other info (other then write thier IP to a log....cough cough would be great {Rick} ) :)
I have that already.. e-mail me and I will send you the updated version.

questman at themajorbbs dot com