MetaComm Network BBS

Running a Major BBS or Worldgroup system? Let everyone know!

Moderator: Mod Squad

JLittge

MetaComm Network BBS

Post by JLittge »

Although it's been about a decade since we we're last online, I will/am in the process of rebuilding from scratch. Including all the terminal side ANSI's, and what seems like an endless amount of text block editing.

Yes, it's likely a waist of time changing every facet of the terminal side in terms of special ansi's and text block editing. Yes I'm probably crazy in doing so. But, I was proud of my hard work on my old WG 2.00 days, now it's time to do it all over again with V3.30. It may very well take me another decade to get this version up, but it will get done. I suck at the web side, so not sure that will be pretty, heh.

I look forward to supporting you ISV's by purchasing your various catalogs of goodies. I cry at what I had, vs what I have currently which is nothing. But anyways, I'll keep you posted on progress, Im hoping to have something up in a couple of months.

Cheers,

360 - Sysop of MetaComm Network (Coming Soon)

JLittge

Post by JLittge »

Still a massive work in progress, but got a dyndns address for the BBS yay!

It's: http://metacomm.dyndns-server.com

Strange that Worldlink has a period before the address. My guess is something in windows is doing that.

Stoneslinger76

Post by Stoneslinger76 »

JLittge wrote:Still a massive work in progress, but got a dyndns address for the BBS yay!

It's: http://metacomm.dyndns-server.com

Strange that Worldlink has a period before the address. My guess is something in windows is doing that.

You may want to check domain name in CNF for dns and worldlink. I hit the website and it is showing as a numbered IP not your domain name in a web browser. Likely a wee typo in one of the config settings or a number where a name should be. Best to have the bbs computer named in your lan the same as the bbs. Then you wont have the server name poping up ahead of the bbs name in the worldlink display.
Stoneslinger
telnet://theswampbbs.net or http://theswampbbs.net

JLittge

Post by JLittge »

I'm not sure what I'm really doing anymore. Although I sincerely enjoyed spending hours chatting with you Stoneslinger76 and Ragtop, I'm truthfully just losing interest with this project. Your help was most valued. And I thank you for your time.

I realize that people have day to day jobs and lives. I was just hoping the community here was a tad bit more active. Are people still working on mods for this stuff? Is Worldgroup itself getting any kind of attention? Any new progress on additional mod aquisitions and the likes? Would love to read about anything at all.

I just don't want to give up.

Ragtop

Post by Ragtop »

Sorry to see you go. I enjoyed talking to you and think you had the start of a nice little board. I certainly understand losing interest and not having time to work on the bbs every day. I have a pretty busy schedule myself and sometimes I get a little tired of logging in daily to check on things. I will let the board run unattended for a while, and then get back in after giving myself a little break :) But I guess that's easier to do with an established board rather than a startup that can still have problems that need to be dealt with.

Also, don't take the lack of activity in these forums to indicate a lack of interest in the community. There are still many active WG boards scattered around that have many users logging in regularly. I concern myself more with what's happening on Adept rather than in here. I have a pretty active user base (especially MajorMUD) and we regularly get together and run quests and boss kills as a group. There is a lot more to the community than just these forums. It just takes a little time to get a user base built up.

If you change your mind and decide to come back, you know where to find us. Look forward to chatting again.
Ragtop
The Adept BBS
http://www.adeptbbs.com
telnet://adeptbbs.com

dspain

Post by dspain »

JLittge wrote:I'm not sure what I'm really doing anymore. Although I sincerely enjoyed spending hours chatting with you Stoneslinger76 and Ragtop, I'm truthfully just losing interest with this project. Your help was most valued. And I thank you for your time.

I realize that people have day to day jobs and lives. I was just hoping the community here was a tad bit more active. Are people still working on mods for this stuff? Is Worldgroup itself getting any kind of attention? Any new progress on additional mod aquisitions and the likes? Would love to read about anything at all.

I just don't want to give up.
i do new modules every week im up to like 26 now, of course some are controversial but none are illegal, what exactly are you looking for?

believe it or not i think this community is mroe active in inboxes than forums posts, however im working with some old network gurus trying to get some form of networked message forums flowing again i think that would keep things hot.
i mean look at dove-net for syncrhonet, still going strong 20 years later.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Ragtop wrote:Sorry to see you go. I enjoyed talking to you and think you had the start of a nice little board. I certainly understand losing interest and not having time to work on the bbs every day. I have a pretty busy schedule myself and sometimes I get a little tired of logging in daily to check on things. I will let the board run unattended for a while, and then get back in after giving myself a little break :) But I guess that's easier to do with an established board rather than a startup that can still have problems that need to be dealt with.

Also, don't take the lack of activity in these forums to indicate a lack of interest in the community. There are still many active WG boards scattered around that have many users logging in regularly. I concern myself more with what's happening on Adept rather than in here. I have a pretty active user base (especially MajorMUD) and we regularly get together and run quests and boss kills as a group. There is a lot more to the community than just these forums. It just takes a little time to get a user base built up.

If you change your mind and decide to come back, you know where to find us. Look forward to chatting again.
LIES! people dont actually play majormud, i thought their term scripts did all the work!