The Underground BBS has returned

Running a Major BBS or Worldgroup system? Let everyone know!

Moderator: Mod Squad

VeNoM

The Underground BBS has returned

Post by VeNoM »

So, after a few years in moth balls,, I've brought back my old board, The Underground!

Running world group 3.3, linked to world link.

Highlights:
Tele-arena 5.6f
This is the ta 2 engine with the 5.6d gold world, we're the official beta board, come give it a try!

Tele-arena 2
Trade wars 2002

System
Wg 3.3 running on a windows xp VM.
The VM runs on the same host as my web and mail servers, so that means reliability!

Sysop:
Venom, a professional sysadmin, and RHCE
<VeNoM>
--
SysOp: The Underground BBS

dspain

Re: The Underground BBS has returned

Post by dspain »

VeNoM wrote:So, after a few years in moth balls,, I've brought back my old board, The Underground!

Running world group 3.3, linked to world link.

Highlights:
Tele-arena 5.6f
This is the ta 2 engine with the 5.6d gold world, we're the official beta board, come give it a try!

Tele-arena 2
Trade wars 2002

arenas work?

System
Wg 3.3 running on a windows xp VM.
The VM runs on the same host as my web and mail servers, so that means reliability!

Sysop:
Venom, a professional sysadmin, and RHCE

Questman

Post by Questman »

Arena's don't all work yet - we know the solution from when you and I were working on this last time but we're testing individual changes one at a time.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Questman wrote:Arena's don't all work yet - we know the solution from when you and I were working on this last time but we're testing individual changes one at a time.
nice.

Questman

Post by Questman »

Yep. Would appreciate your feedback, for sure.

Franchise_24

Post by Franchise_24 »

Now where did this version of TA come from?

VeNoM

Post by VeNoM »

This version of TA is straight from Rick.

He (and presumably others) did a lot of work at getting the 5.6d GOLD world running on a slightly modified 5.7 (TA II) engine.

He and I put a few finishing touches on it.

I've been on vacation all week, and from what ive heard, the game's gotten a lot of play testing. Hopefully I can poke at T2 and 3 arena's this week, maybe we'll have a fully functioning game in the near future.

T1 arena is working, its just T2 and T3 that do not.
<VeNoM>
--

Questman

Post by Questman »

We gotta find time to sit down again and finish this off, Ven.

Questman

Post by Questman »

We gotta find time to sit down again and finish this off, Ven.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Questman wrote:We gotta find time to sit down again and finish this off, Ven.
*cough* pm me *cough*

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Yes please get this for my hungry crowd of people getting bored with MajorMUD... thanks to Rick I was able to upgrade to a 256-user license, and we're already hitting 120 people some days now... over 100 regularly.

Tele-Arena will fill that bored with majormud hole many have. I hope at least.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Iceman wrote:Yes please get this for my hungry crowd of people getting bored with MajorMUD... thanks to Rick I was able to upgrade to a 256-user license, and we're already hitting 120 people some days now... over 100 regularly.

Tele-Arena will fill that bored with majormud hole many have. I hope at least.
well what i want to do is a full development contract with Rick to develop Tele-Arena, once all this is done i could have Tele-Arena II fully functional within 3-5 days.

in the meantime my engine is done maybe i could get Rick around
to allowing a few systems to play with it.

VeNoM

Post by VeNoM »

Questman wrote:We gotta find time to sit down again and finish this off, Ven.
I agree. Been busy the past few weeks. Lets get this before the end of the month.
<VeNoM>
--

Questman

Post by Questman »

Wait, TA2 is functional. Just has a short map. Arenas work.

TA1 on the same codebase requires changes. I have TA1 latest maps working on my test box with all 3 town arenas working (didn't test 4th town) but there's an issue where TA2's engine reduces stats on resurrection from death where TA1 didn't, so I'm going to pull that out. After that it should work. But I think there's still an arena disconnect we have to sort out.

After TA1 and TA2 I'm definitely interested in another TA project but I can't focus on more than one at a time at the moment :)

dspain

Post by dspain »

Questman wrote:Wait, TA2 is functional. Just has a short map. Arenas work.

TA1 on the same codebase requires changes. I have TA1 latest maps working on my test box with all 3 town arenas working (didn't test 4th town) but there's an issue where TA2's engine reduces stats on resurrection from death where TA1 didn't, so I'm going to pull that out. After that it should work. But I think there's still an arena disconnect we have to sort out.

After TA1 and TA2 I'm definitely interested in another TA project but I can't focus on more than one at a time at the moment :)
if you're going original t4 had no arena what you want to do is as i pointed out earlier, create a system where sysops can modify arena content through the editor, i assume the short map had an editor?

all this gave me headaches i have since withdrawn i created a standalone game and a fully working module when you got your stuff worked out on your side email me we can work some stuff out, i just recently completed Tradewars II and have moved on to a Usurper project if you're interested i have hand written a 7,298 room map for TA2 just need the editor to plug it into.

i'll be honest too many people came out the woodwork wanting to be this or that and it slowed down what me and you were working on tremendously, we been trying to get this right since what 2005/2006? man thats alot of years and if you're around my age which i think you are then you know firsthand we ain't gettin no younger, i created a brand new Ta engine in under 14 days that plays from beginning to end no problems so imagine what me and you could have done in the 7 years thats passed.
right now sitting on my dev system is a tele-arena engine that plays in both terminal mode and active-html mode through a web browser, just lacks the C/S side which guess what, you have in your TA2 engine, combined with my sqlite tele-arena databasing system and your expertise as well we could have locked this addon down and been well into something else like infinity complex.

so tell ya what ill do, you do your thing, take the wife on vacation, enjoy an end of summer gala, do your work thing, and when things slow down let me know and we can share what we got and talk about where we want it to go and release something for the sysops to enjoy rather than continious talk and ranting in the forums lets give em something in stone.
i got like 7,8 projects rolling out as we speak and a few to finish up so i got things to keep me busy but when you're ready let me know we'll blow this thing wide open.

Questman

Post by Questman »

I know, totally. It's gotten slowed down repeatedly. Then, this summer I had a lot of travel. Still have travel each month through end of January 2013, too, and quite a bit on my plate.

I agree with you on the changes although right now, priority 1 is just to get the original game out on the original code base, as much "as is" to the old DOS version as possible. Then newer engines and things can get put out. It will be too confusing to people to not do it this way; I can tell just from e-mails from folks.

Hang in there. It's not going anywhere :)

dspain

Post by dspain »

Questman wrote:I know, totally. It's gotten slowed down repeatedly. Then, this summer I had a lot of travel. Still have travel each month through end of January 2013, too, and quite a bit on my plate.

I agree with you on the changes although right now, priority 1 is just to get the original game out on the original code base, as much "as is" to the old DOS version as possible. Then newer engines and things can get put out. It will be too confusing to people to not do it this way; I can tell just from e-mails from folks.

Hang in there. It's not going anywhere :)
oh i know hell i got really busy myself just got a new contract in ocean city maryland with my company so i will be there through winter as well my TA engine isnt going anywhere and as you said neither is yours so it all good, besides i needed the extra time to get the new galsmtp done as well as finalize my globals package, and of course deal with the new contract.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

dspain wrote: oh i know hell i got really busy myself just got a new contract in ocean city maryland with my company so i will be there through winter as well my TA engine isnt going anywhere and as you said neither is yours so it all good, besides i needed the extra time to get the new galsmtp done as well as finalize my globals package, and of course deal with the new contract.
Are you still looking for someone to test tele-arena... I just finally got my internet upgrade done so we can keep up with the number of users we have... so I could turn my focus on that spare machine to install software on, don't want to cause any crashes and make 140 people angry when I can't reboot it all day or night heh.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Iceman wrote:
dspain wrote: oh i know hell i got really busy myself just got a new contract in ocean city maryland with my company so i will be there through winter as well my TA engine isnt going anywhere and as you said neither is yours so it all good, besides i needed the extra time to get the new galsmtp done as well as finalize my globals package, and of course deal with the new contract.
Are you still looking for someone to test tele-arena... I just finally got my internet upgrade done so we can keep up with the number of users we have... so I could turn my focus on that spare machine to install software on, don't want to cause any crashes and make 140 people angry when I can't reboot it all day or night heh.
send a message to Rick ask him if he is ok with it, explain you got 100+ users ans it would be a great stress test on the game, if he ok's it im ok with it.

Franchise_24

Post by Franchise_24 »

Also The DarkSide BBS is running the current version of the game. Telnet to darkside.dtdns.net
The DarkSide BBS
Telnet to darkside.dtdns.net
Active Tele-Arena & Mutants game!

VeNoM

Post by VeNoM »

Franchise_24 wrote:Also The DarkSide BBS is running the current version of the game. Telnet to darkside.dtdns.net
Im not sure what version you're running, but it differs from the version The Underground is running.

Is this wg3 with ta? It reports 5.6D which i thought was WG2 only?
<VeNoM>
--

dspain

Post by dspain »

VeNoM wrote:
Franchise_24 wrote:Also The DarkSide BBS is running the current version of the game. Telnet to darkside.dtdns.net
Im not sure what version you're running, but it differs from the version The Underground is running.

its just what his MDF reports, and yes it is WG3
i forgot to edit the MDF from when i first wrote it years ago.

VeNoM

Post by VeNoM »

dspain wrote:
VeNoM wrote:

Theres other differences, like the character stats screen is single column where the version im running has the newer two column layout... Its not the same version.
<VeNoM>
--

dspain

Post by dspain »

VeNoM wrote:
dspain wrote:
VeNoM wrote: Im not sure what version you're running, but it differs from the version The Underground is running.

Theres other differences, like the character stats screen is single column where the version im running has the newer two column layout... Its not the same version.
yeah Tele-Arena II used the 2 column stats i modeled mine after 5.6, and yes they arent the same