LORE BBS Door Game help

Radio Free Worldgroup - off-topic discussions go here!

Moderator: Mod Squad

JuBond

LORE BBS Door Game help

Post by JuBond »

I've run into an issue with the door game LORE, and can't seem to find a source for help. I was hoping that one of the sysops here who added it to their BBS might be able to shed some light. I recently got Gamesrv to play nicely with my WG NT server, and have been setting up old door games. One that I used to play during my BBS days was LORE, one of the largest and most in depth door games around (Second only to MMUD). I've been able to get it to install properly, and can log into it with no issues. The problem is that anytime a command is entered, once in game, a command prompt for 'Examine, Talk, Ignore' pops up. In order to enter another command, I have to press 'I' for Ignore. This happens after ANY command, even moving around on screen. I've tried everything I can think of: logging in using different clients, on diffferent PC's... and even a smartphone Telnet client. I've tried playing the game locally, thinking maybe Gamesrv was causing the issue. I even hunted down an earlier version of LORE, with the same result. Anyone installed this, and not had a problem? I swear I remember having this issue the last time I did anything BBS related, which would have been about 8 years ago... and I thought I was able to find a solution. Thanks in advance for any help.

frcorey

Re: LORE BBS Door Game help

Post by frcorey »

JuBond wrote:I've run into an issue with the door game LORE, and can't seem to find a source for help. I was hoping that one of the sysops here who added it to their BBS might be able to shed some light. I recently got Gamesrv to play nicely with my WG NT server, and have been setting up old door games. One that I used to play during my BBS days was LORE, one of the largest and most in depth door games around (Second only to MMUD). I've been able to get it to install properly, and can log into it with no issues. The problem is that anytime a command is entered, once in game, a command prompt for 'Examine, Talk, Ignore' pops up. In order to enter another command, I have to press 'I' for Ignore. This happens after ANY command, even moving around on screen. I've tried everything I can think of: logging in using different clients, on diffferent PC's... and even a smartphone Telnet client. I've tried playing the game locally, thinking maybe Gamesrv was causing the issue. I even hunted down an earlier version of LORE, with the same result. Anyone installed this, and not had a problem? I swear I remember having this issue the last time I did anything BBS related, which would have been about 8 years ago... and I thought I was able to find a solution. Thanks in advance for any help.
our bbs system don't use doors.
all our games and addons are runtime moduals.

Drex

Post by Drex »

Yes but Door games can be added along side of WG, back in the day thats mostly what a lot of boards had, a ton of door games. Sorry not sure what the problems could be as I haven't ran door games for 10-12 years.

JuBond

Post by JuBond »

I found what causes the issue. The game lets you select if you want the "multinode" mode enabled or not. Disabling it fixes the issues, but doesn't let you see other players on the map or talk to them in-game. I'm assuming this is a bug in the game, which sadly will never be fixed. If anyone did get LORE to work with the Multinode feature enabled, please share how!

Drex

Post by Drex »

If i get a chance to, Ill see if I can whip up a doorgame serv. and try things out.

Stoneslinger76

Post by Stoneslinger76 »

JuBond wrote:I found what causes the issue. The game lets you select if you want the "multinode" mode enabled or not. Disabling it fixes the issues, but doesn't let you see other players on the map or talk to them in-game. I'm assuming this is a bug in the game, which sadly will never be fixed. If anyone did get LORE to work with the Multinode feature enabled, please share how!
I have a very distant memory of running multiple copies for multinode. One game running for each node or user. Tag bbs (rolf yes) would run multinode doors by running multiple copies of tag for each node or modem. You maybe able to run it on gameserv that way.
Stoneslinger
telnet://theswampbbs.net or http://theswampbbs.net

daltorak

Post by daltorak »

JuBond, I'm one of the original authors of the LORE doorgame. I might be able to help you get Lore working in multiplayer mode; please contact me at warr_n@_lv_n.ca (substitute _ with e) and we'll see what we can do.

dspain

Re: LORE BBS Door Game help

Post by dspain »

JuBond wrote:I've run into an issue with the door game LORE, and can't seem to find a source for help. I was hoping that one of the sysops here who added it to their BBS might be able to shed some light. I recently got Gamesrv to play nicely with my WG NT server, and have been setting up old door games. One that I used to play during my BBS days was LORE, one of the largest and most in depth door games around (Second only to MMUD). I've been able to get it to install properly, and can log into it with no issues. The problem is that anytime a command is entered, once in game, a command prompt for 'Examine, Talk, Ignore' pops up. In order to enter another command, I have to press 'I' for Ignore. This happens after ANY command, even moving around on screen. I've tried everything I can think of: logging in using different clients, on diffferent PC's... and even a smartphone Telnet client. I've tried playing the game locally, thinking maybe Gamesrv was causing the issue. I even hunted down an earlier version of LORE, with the same result. Anyone installed this, and not had a problem? I swear I remember having this issue the last time I did anything BBS related, which would have been about 8 years ago... and I thought I was able to find a solution. Thanks in advance for any help.
you logging in through a local window?
what version of lore you running, version 3?

possibly the client you are connecting with is sending some extra characters to the server you are unaware of? as you play watch the dos window opened by gamesrv (if there is one)

JuBond

Post by JuBond »

There's a LORE version 3??! I've been running v2.5, where can one get version 3? :P I've watched the dos prompt window that pops up with gamesrv runs a door, didn't see any extra key strokes. I've tried running it local from the command line with the same issues.

JuBond

Post by JuBond »

daltorak - I sent you an email. Please respond at your leisure. Any chance of the LORE homepage ever coming back? :D

Stoneslinger76

Post by Stoneslinger76 »

JuBond wrote:daltorak - I sent you an email. Please respond at your leisure. Any chance of the LORE homepage ever coming back? :D
http://www.elven.ca/
Stoneslinger
telnet://theswampbbs.net or http://theswampbbs.net

JuBond

Post by JuBond »

Stoneslinger76 wrote:
JuBond wrote:daltorak - I sent you an email. Please respond at your leisure. Any chance of the LORE homepage ever coming back? :D
http://www.elven.ca/
Sadly, if you click the Elven Software link, it mentions that the LORE homepage will be back soon... That was last updated in 2008...